What is Mastodon
Video: What is Mastodon
Server=instance=community. There are over 3000 interconnected communities. A selection of them are listed here: https://joinmastodon.org/communities
With an account on Mastodon.green you'll be able to follow people on any Mastodon server and beyond.
Mastodon.green is a general purpose server for the EU region(1). It is not focused on any particular niche interest so it's a good place to start with Mastodon.
🔵 A community for Europeans
Create an account on Mastodon.green.
✔️ Share anything you want:
🔵 Connected with other communities around the world
✔️ You can connect with friends on other Mastodon servers. Mastodon is a new type of federated social network
▪️ On the local timeline - Posts from people on our Mastodon.green community
▪️ On the federated timeline - Posts from from people on other Mastodon communities around the world
What is federation? >>
🔵 Climate-positive (sometimes called carbon negative)
✔️ When you're on mastodon.green, we're removing CO2 from the atmosphere
| Terms of service
(1)The EU region in our case is the European single market. This includes the EU's 27 member states plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.
Other Mastodon servers
- There are more than 4 million users on Mastodon and they are spread over hundreds of independent servers, sometimes called instances. (See https://instances.social for a searchable list.)
- A good and easy place to start is our server/instance: Mastodon.green. You can switch server at any time or create additional accounts on other servers if you want.
- Some servers are focused on discussing a certain topic while other are general purpose where you can post anything.
- You can follow and share stuff with people across different servers all around the world.
Being climate-positive means that mastodon.green is removing more CO2 from the atmosphere than we're emitting. We're the first climate-positive Mastodon server in the world. Mastodon.green is hosted by Albin Social - the first climate-positive social network in the world.
To be climate-positive we're compensating 110 % of the emissions from our server:
- We reduce our emissions as much as possible.
- We measure 100 % of the emissions related to our server.
- We capture at least 110 % of emissions.
Removing CO2 from the atmosphere
We're buying removal certificates on the market. The physical process of removing CO2 are handled by other companies. Here's the marketplace Puro.earth (note that we're still setting this up)
We may use a combination of:
- Tree planting
- Direct Air Capture (DAC)
- Carbonated or wooden building elements
All of these methods remove CO2 from the atmosphere for at least 50 years. We like the biochar method, because it's permanently removing CO2. It's stored for thousands of years and biochar in the soil. Planting trees is very good, but there is a risk of accidental release of the CO2 again with forest fires.
What is federation?
Instagram as an example is centralized and Mastodon is federated.
Federation is easy, but may sound complicated at first.
- one domain (https://instagram.com)
- one app (The Instagram app)
- one owner (Facebook owns Instagram)
- Many domains (https://mastodon.green, https://mastodon.scot, https://vocalounge.cafe and hundreds more)
- Many apps with different names. (Tusky, Amaroq and several more.)
- Many owners (Generally every domain has one owner. It can be a company or private person)
- All apps and domains are interconnected with each other and that is called federation.
- Many independent communities that are also connected in a bigger federated community.
Federation sounds like an over complicated nightmare, but it is better:
- It gives more freedom to everyone.
- It allows anyone to start their own community for their own region, club or niche interest. Some communities are very niche like vocalounge.cafe which centers around vocalsynth culture. Some are regional like mastodon.scot which is for people in scotland and mastodon.green which is for people in Europe, (EU).
We can say that domain, server and instance are synonyms related to a specific community of people. To visit the community you go the the relevant domain. You then create an account on an instance of the Mastodon software. The software is from a technical perspective installed on a server.
To know what comes from which community there are three different timelines on Mastodon:
- Home timeline. This is the feed of posts from people you follow.
- Local timeline. Local refer to the domain/community/server/, not local as in the local neighborhood where you live. In our case you see posts from other people in the Mastodon.green community here.
- Federated timeline. Here are posts from other Mastodon servers.
You can choose to create an account on one or more servers:
- To know who you communicate with you must look at the full username. @firstname.lastname@example.org
- It's important to know that @email@example.com and @firstname.lastname@example.org may or may not be the same person. It's likey that it is different persons.
- E-mail works in the same way, it's no guarantee at all that email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org is the same person.
@JohanEmpa@mastodon.green is me, the owner of Mastodon.green.
Up | Create account on mastodon.green
In short we expect you to be friendly and respectful. Common sense may differ a bit from person to person so we have written community guidelines. The guidelines are not fixed, but can be adjusted and improved upon until we find something that works well.
For practical moderation reasons we may remove post written in non-EU languages. You are welcome to use any EU language or English when you share stuff. If you want you can choose to only see posts in the language(s) you understand.
Our moderation team look at community activity within mastodon.green. This is foremost a server for genuine humans and genuine companies and organizations. We're looking if you have real looking activity in our community. On suspicion of inauthentic accounts, especially if they seem to belong to a web of other inauthentic accounts on other servers, we might pro-actively suspend users. This can happen without e-mail notification, as it makes no sense to notify potential spammers and shills that they are being removed. They might of course just come back with another e-mail. This is a fairly heavy handed approach to combat rule breaking content. It can happen that a genuine user gets suspended and find itself unable to login. There may be a way back in if you're a genuine person living in our region.
We probably have the toughest moderation rules on the Fediverse, but that also makes our server the nicest to be on. The rules changes until we have found a balance that works well for everyone.
Just a quick note: This site is not meant to be a backup or permanent repository for your information, posts or media ; additionally, your media is being downsized on original upload. You can export your posts, but there might be technical issues, so we recommend that you keep a backup elsewhere
The following guidelines are not a legal document, and final interpretation is up to the administration of Mastodon.green; they are here to provide you with an insight into our content moderation policies:
The following types of content will be removed from the public timeline:
- Excessive advertising
- Uncurated news bots posting from third-party news sources
- Untagged nudity, pornography and sexually explicit content, including artistic depictions
- Untagged gore and extremely graphic violence, including artistic depictions
The following types of content will be removed from the public timeline, and may result in account suspension and revocation of access to the service:
- Racism or advocation of racism
- Sexism or advocation of sexism
- Casteism or advocation of casteism
- Discrimination against gender and sexual minorities, or advocation thereof
- Xenophobic and/or violent nationalism
The following types of content are explicitly disallowed and will result in revocation of access to the service:
- Sexual depictions of children
- Content illegal in Germany and/or other EU countries, such as holocaust denial or Nazi symbolism
Any conduct intended to stalk or harass other users, or to impede other users from utilizing the service, or to degrade the performance of the service, or to harass other users, or to incite other users to perform any of the aforementioned actions, is also disallowed, and subject to punishment up to and including revocation of access to the service. This includes, but is not limited to, the following behaviors:
- Continuing to engage in conversation with a user that has specifically has requested for said engagement with that user to cease and desist may be considered harassment, regardless of platform-specific privacy tools employed.
- Aggregating, posting, and/or disseminating a person's demographic, personal, or private data without express permission (informally called doxing or dropping dox) may be considered harassment.
- Inciting users to engage another user in continued interaction or discussion after a user has requested for said engagement with that user to cease and desist (informally called brigading or dogpiling) may be considered harassment.
"Cross-posting" is the automatic copying of posts from one platform to another. That definition does not include the simultaneous posting to multiple platforms from the same app, such as Twidere or PostyBirb. If you use those apps, we consider those posts original, and the following need not apply.
Cross-posting from Mastodon to other platforms is fully permitted. Cross-posting into Mastodon from another platform is permitted under the following terms:
- The posts do not include platform-specific references, e.g. talking about "here" meaning Twitter, or including text from other non-Mastodon users verbatim (e.g. cross-posted quote tweets)
- The Mastodon account is at least semi-regularly monitored by the author, so that interactions from Mastodon users are not ignored
- The account being cross-posted is owned by the same person. Third-party copying of content is not permitted
- Please post in any of the 24 official EU languages. Content posted in other languages may be removed from the public timeline, and may result in account suspension and revocation of access to the service
Mastodon.green block some servers that are not aligned with our community guidelines, policies or terms of service. We're not federating with servers running other software than Mastodon and Pixelfed.
Excessive posting. Some users on other servers post with a high frequency, there are bots posting every 10 minutes every day. When people on mastodon.green follow high frequency posters that content is pulled into our servers. For capacity and economical reasons we may suspend high frequency people and bots, particularly if they are on other servers.
Friendly and respectful atmosphere. Some content is legal but may be removed anyway if it's suspected to be inauthentic, inflammatory, spammy or misinformation. You can post anything you want, yet, overdoing certain things may lead to revocation of access to the service. For example:
- Excessive posting or advocacy of political activism from either far left of far right side of the spectrum. Particularly if the activism is borderline illegal or focused on revolutionary change by fighting and violence.
- Excessive promotional content. We welcome companies to mastodon.green and they can post about their products and services. We welcome people signing up here and promoting their projects. We're tough on signup promotion, that is people signing up and immediately following companies, political campaigns or what looks like inauthentic accounts on other servers. We may proactively suspend both the offending user and the target accounts they are promoting. It's on a case to case basis.
- Excessive amount of religious content. You're welcome to be religious and express that. You're welcome to celebrate your religious holidays and traditions. But respect other peoples religion. If your content is too focused on converting people it may be removed. If your religious content is inflammatory it may be removed.
- Trolling. May be removed.
- Conspiracy theories.May be removed.
- Anti science content such as anti-vaccine movements. May be removed
- Our guidelines also apply to content that is pulled in from other servers though people following accounts there. Users on our server may be suspended for pulling in too much guideline violating content from other servers.This particularly apply to people who just follow people on other servers without being active on our server by posting or replying to posts.
These provisions notwithstanding, the administration of the service reserves the right to revoke any user's access permissions, at any time, for any reason, except as limited by law.
Adapted from Mastodon.social Code of conduct.
Up | Create account on mastodon.green
Mastodon.green adhere to the Mastodon server covenant
Here are useful links to the Mastodon documentation. You can also ask me,@JohanEmpa, if there is anything you need help with.
Setting up your profile
Using networking features
Dealing with unwanted content
Promoting yourself and others
Set your preferences
Using Mastodon externally
Moving or leaving account
In addition to the site's owner, @JohanEmpa, Mastodon.green's moderation staff include volunteer moderators.
This server is funded by sponsorships. Feel free to help us find more sponsors so that we can improve the service and grow the server.
Johan Sundström - Albin Social
c/o Grosch Postflex #442
Emsdettener Straße 10
Up | Create account on mastodon.green