🔵 A community for Europeans, (EU), and invited friends from around the world.
✔️ Share anything you want:
🔵 Federated with the world
✔️ Follow and share with people all around the world:
▪️ On your local timeline - Posts from people on Mastodon.green
▪️ On your federated timeline - Posts from from people on other Mastodon servers around the world
What is federation? >>
🔵 Climate positive
✔️ Did you know that the internet is damaging the climate?
▪️ Apps and the internet are emitting CO2
▪️ Mastodon.green is removing
▪️ Removing CO2 is climate positive
Create an account on Mastodon.green.
| Terms of service
- There are more than 4 million users on Mastodon and they are spread over hundreds of independent servers, sometimes called instances. (See https://instances.social for a searchable list.)
- A good and easy place to start is our server/instance: Mastodon.green. You can switch server at any time or create additional accounts on other servers if you want.
- Some servers are focused on discussing a certain topic while other are general purpose where you can post anything.
- You can follow and share stuff with people across different servers all around the world.
The green Mastodon server
Mastodon.green is a general purpose server for the EU region. It is not focused on any particular niche interest.
The EU region in our case is the European single market. This includes the EU's 27 member states, the EEA countries Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway, and Switzerland.
Being climate positive means that we are removing CO2 from the air.
We do this by compensating 110 % of the emissions from our server:
- We measure 100 % of the emissions related to our server.
- We capture at least 110 % of emissions.
- We turn the captured CO2 into stone.
Turning CO2 into stone
The physical process of turning CO2 into stone is handled by a company called Climeworks and they have a CO2 removal plant in Iceland:
Financial times on Climeworks CO2 removal plant in Switzerland:
Turning CO2 into stone in Iceland
How it's done:
- Using excess heat from the volcanic ground
- Using Climeworks machines to remove CO2 from the air
- Pumping the CO2 into basaltic rock where it turns into stone
This is Climeworks explanation: how it works
What is federation?
Instagram as an example is centralized and Mastodon is federated.
Federation is easy, but may sound complicated at first. We give the detailed explanation below, but all you really need to know is that federation is new and better. The fastest way to know the difference may be to create an account and try it out.
- one domain (https://instagram.com)
- one app (The Instagram app)
- one owner (Facebook owns Instagram)
- Many domains (https://mastodon.green, https://mastodon.scot, https://vocalounge.cafe and hundreds more)
- Many apps with different names. (Tusky, Amaroq and several more.)
- Many owners (Generally every domain has one owner. It can be a company or private person)
- All apps and domains are interconnected with each other and that is called federation.
- Many independent communities that are also connected in a bigger federated community.
Federation sounds like an over complicated nightmare, but it is better:
- It gives more freedom to everyone.
- It allows anyone to start their own community for their own region, club or niche interest. Some communities are very niche like vocalounge.cafe which centers around vocalsynth culture. Some are regional like mastodon.scot which is for people in scotland and mastodon.green which is for people in Europe, (EU).
We can somewhat simplified say that domain, server and instance are synonyms related to a specific community of people. To visit the community you go the the relevant domain. You then create an account on an instance of the Mastodon software. The software is from a technical perspective installed on one or several servers. Cloud storage is sometimes used for larger files such as images and videos.
To know what comes from which community there are three different timelines on Mastodon:
- Home timeline. This is the feed of posts from people you follow.
- Local timeline. Local refer to the domain/community/server/, not local as in the local neighborhood where you live. In our case you see posts from other people in the Mastodon.green community here.
- Federated timeline. Here are posts from other Mastodon servers.
You can choose to create an account on one or more servers:
- To know who you communicate with you must look at the full username. @email@example.com
- It's important to know that @firstname.lastname@example.org and @email@example.com may or may not be the same person. It's likey that it is different persons.
- E-mail works in the same way, it's no guarantee at all that firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com is the same person.
@JohanEmpa@mastodon.green is me, the owner of Mastodon.green.
Up | Create account on mastodon.green
In short we expect you to be friendly and respectful. Common sense may differ a bit from person to person so we have written community guidelines.
For moderation reasons we may remove post written in non-EU languages. You are welcome to use any EU language or English when you share stuff. If you want you can choose to only see posts in the language(s) you understand.
Just a quick note: This site is not meant to be a backup or permanent repository for your information, posts or media ; additionally, your media is being downsized on original upload and may not be exportable upon transferring to new instance
The following guidelines are not a legal document, and final interpretation is up to the administration of Mastodon.green; they are here to provide you with an insight into our content moderation policies:
The following types of content will be removed from the public timeline:
- Excessive advertising
- Uncurated news bots posting from third-party news sources
- Untagged nudity, pornography and sexually explicit content, including artistic depictions
- Untagged gore and extremely graphic violence, including artistic depictions
The following types of content will be removed from the public timeline, and may result in account suspension and revocation of access to the service:
- Racism or advocation of racism
- Sexism or advocation of sexism
- Casteism or advocation of casteism
- Discrimination against gender and sexual minorities, or advocation thereof
- Xenophobic and/or violent nationalism
The following types of content are explicitly disallowed and will result in revocation of access to the service:
- Sexual depictions of children
- Content illegal in Germany and/or other EU countries, such as holocaust denial or Nazi symbolism
Any conduct intended to stalk or harass other users, or to impede other users from utilizing the service, or to degrade the performance of the service, or to harass other users, or to incite other users to perform any of the aforementioned actions, is also disallowed, and subject to punishment up to and including revocation of access to the service. This includes, but is not limited to, the following behaviors:
- Continuing to engage in conversation with a user that has specifically has requested for said engagement with that user to cease and desist may be considered harassment, regardless of platform-specific privacy tools employed.
- Aggregating, posting, and/or disseminating a person's demographic, personal, or private data without express permission (informally called doxing or dropping dox) may be considered harassment.
- Inciting users to engage another user in continued interaction or discussion after a user has requested for said engagement with that user to cease and desist (informally called brigading or dogpiling) may be considered harassment.
"Cross-posting" is the automatic copying of posts from one platform to another. That definition does not include the simultaneous posting to multiple platforms from the same app, such as Twidere or PostyBirb. If you use those apps, we consider those posts original, and the following need not apply.
Cross-posting from Mastodon to other platforms is fully permitted. Cross-posting into Mastodon from another platform is permitted under the following terms:
- The posts do not include platform-specific references, e.g. talking about "here" meaning Twitter, or including text from other non-Mastodon users verbatim (e.g. cross-posted quote tweets)
- The Mastodon account is at least semi-regularly monitored by the author, so that interactions from Mastodon users are not ignored
- The account being cross-posted is owned by the same person. Third-party copying of content is not permitted
- Please post in any of the 24 official EU languages. Content posted in other languages may be removed from the public timeline, and may result in account suspension and revocation of access to the service
Mastodon.green block some servers that are not aligned with our community guidelines, policies or terms of service.
These provisions notwithstanding, the administration of the service reserves the right to revoke any user's access permissions, at any time, for any reason, except as limited by law.
Adapted from Mastodon.social Code of conduct.
Up | Create account on mastodon.green
Mastodon.green adhere to the Mastodon server covenant
In addition to the site's owner, @JohanEmpa, Mastodon.green's moderation staff include volunteer moderators.
This server is funded by membership fees and sponsorships.
Johan Sundström - Albin Social
c/o Grosch Postflex #442
Emsdettener Straße 10
Up | Create account on mastodon.green